Thursday, May 24, 2007

thoughts...

"Prudence is an important Christian virtue; it is the ability to wait out decisions until the right course is clear; it is the opposite of impetuosity: the tendency to act quickly and think later. Fundamental to prudence is the ability to consider consequences: the ability to make decisions with the future/end in mind, and not just the dictates of the moment. Wisdom has a strong consequence orientation. We must think practically about what is likely to come of a certain decision: what will be the consequences, both positive and negative? Sacrificing momentary satisfaction for true satisfaction is ‘paying in advance.’ “Would you rise in the world? You must work while others amuse themselves. Are you desirous of a reputation of courage? You must risk your life. Would you become strong morally or physically? You must resist temptation. All this is paying in advance. That is prospective finance. Observe the other side of the picture. The bad things are always paid for afterward"-Winston Churchill

I feel like this quote sums up what God has been teaching me lately. In several situations in my life, decisions are pending, and I am being called to pay in advance. While I am used to thinking briefly ahead, some of these decisions have consequences that I would continue to "pay for" longer than just briefly. Some of these situations include relations with the opposite sex, friendships, and where I am headed to college. I feel seriously out of control in all these situations, so the temptation is to quickly patch things so I do not feel this way, but I am praying the Lord would give me patience, prudence, and peace.

No comments: